A fair few lessons learned with this personal project. E.g. that there's definitely a limit to how big a canvas size I should work with in Photoshop in the future. Phew!
Here's a step-by-step for your pleasure:
Here is another painting and excerpt from the upcoming story "One of Many Winters" which is one of the stories in The Nightmare Theater anthology. More excerpts from the story to be released soon! "Ole Lukøje swiftly glided over the long, bowed bridge that connected Gray Street to the vacant grounds of Riverton Elementary School. Whispers of water could be heard from a distance; the accumulated ice had stifled much of the river’s flow. A flock of noisy larks trotted in and out of a frozen bush at the school-end of the bridge..."
So here's a recent: Some random character designs themed under 'world culture'.
And despite associations to pink candy floss, tribal/voodoo rituals, mystic deserts and elegant tea ceremonies, I've actually managed to steer clear of the fantasy theme with this one! :)
"Millennia after millennia they've been forced to retreat to an ever-shrinking territory. Now this mythological army of free peoples of nature have gathered to make a stand and defend their sacred homelands with all their might."
So this is a piece I've been looking very much forward to share! I actually finished it in March this year, but couldn't post it until now.
I used a lot of time on this one and it was a big challenge/milestone in many ways (which was also the intention). With this piece I wanted to push myself a lot in terms of composition, perspective, atmosphere, anatomy and so on.
Thanks to the people who helped with their precious feedback! <3
Hope you guys like it! :)
P.S. I have a huge amount of screen shots from the process that I may eventually turn into some kind of step-by-step thingie if there's an interest for that.
This is a product of an ongoing collaboration with the talented Kabir Shah (Kabir's blog).
Not having collaborated with anyone before, I found this to be a very interesting and exciting experience, and I also learned a lot from watching Kabir perform his own magic.
The choice of a theatrical setting was made so that we could study lighting, compose multiple figures in perspective, and see if we could add emotion and mood to the piece. A particular inspiration was Helnwein's theatrical work.
We decided that Kabir would work on the background and I would develop most of the characters. In the end, though, each of us did a bit of both. And after a while, we decided to paint over the whole image in turns to try out a different way of working.
The difficult part was to make the characters seem real enough so that it would seem like a stage play, and still maintain a surrealistic, dream like feel to them. We're both satisfied with the outcome. Though, there is much to learn still.
Here are some step by steps from our collaborative process: